Find a Grave

Search for cemetery records in Saint Clair Cemetery, PA at by entering a surname and clicking search:

Restrict search to

Surname

Monday, March 2, 2015

Mappy Monday: Looking for Inherited Land

I'm rich.  I just know I am.  Or maybe not.

My 5th ggrandfather's will is dated 1794 and was probated in New York City.  In this will, he leaves his "lands, tenements, hereitament and estate"  in Hanover Row, Portsmouth Common, England to his children.

Now this is cool.  Only I have no idea whatever happened to the land.  Was it sold by the children? Did English authorities consider it abandoned?

In learning about the area, Portsmouth Common was built just outside the dockyard.  An email from David in 2009 when I inquired in Hampshire about it tells me the following about the land:

Hanover Row
1721-1845 ran from The Parade (which was parallel to Long Row) to
Sharps Buildings (at corner of Gravel Row)
1845 absorbed into The Dockyard, Marlborough Area
(presumably north of the Marlborough Gate)
1874 demolished.

So - your area of interest is Portsmouth Dockyard, and, narrowing it
down, north Portsea area (where there are still The Parade and
Marlborough Row) - a block east from where Mary Rose and the Victory are
berthed.


This is the only map I have found online (so happy myfamilymatters put this up) from the time close to 1794.  This provides a point of reference for me should I ever find someone across the pond who is willing to check it out for me at the land records office.
 




Ahhh, genealogy.  Mapping the past with the thoughts of today.

©2015 ASEldredge

Sources:
1794 Will of John Simmons
http://www.myfamilymatters.org.uk/page85.html
http://www.thedearsurprise.com/hearts-of-oak-portsmouth-and-the-royal-navy-in-the-18th-century/

No comments:

Post a Comment