Find a Grave

Search for cemetery records in Saint Clair Cemetery, PA at by entering a surname and clicking search:

Restrict search to

Surname

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Sympathy Saturday for the Challenger and My Heart

Today.  Remember how sunny it was 28 January 1986?  Remember the excitement of the upcoming Challenger flight to carry just an ordinary teacher (wait--  are teachers ordinary?) in to the wonder of space?  Remember sitting and watching the liftoff?  Remember the horror of the explosion just 74 seconds later?




I remember it well.  For, you see, I was sitting with my dad and his oncologist in a hospital room watching the event.  For, you see, the news regarding the return of my father's cancer was not good.  For, you see, the oncologist sat on the bed as the shuttle exploded and tears ran down his face.  For, you see, it was one of the best buddies of the oncologist on that flight.

We cried.  All of America cried. And then my family cried more.  This story I will tell my children about today in much more detail will break my heart once more.  For the loss of the Challenger and the soon loss of my dad still has its effect on the space program and my family.

Ahh, genealogy.  Just hearing of a past event that our nation witnessed with such loss of life and hope also brings tears to my eyes as I remember my own gentle giant of a hero.  Rest gently.

©2017  AS Eldredge


No comments:

Post a Comment