Find a Grave

Search for cemetery records in Saint Clair Cemetery, PA at by entering a surname and clicking search:

Restrict search to

Surname

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Thankful Thursday: Vallandigham Forgotten Books

Looking around some old emails today, I ran across some information on some more old generations of the family tree.  In rereading the ones on my LAIRD kin, I am amazed at the generosity of those family seekers who have assisted me in my own quest over the years.

As I was jogging the old brain cells into activity, I remembered a forgotten book I own.  I purchased it last year and was thrilled to have found it.  You see, the book is about another Kissing Kin of mine-Clement Laird VALLANDIGHAM.  The book on his life was first written in 1872 by his brother.  It has been republished by Forgotten Books, which digitally reconstructs historical books.  What a find!




What a story!  What a life!  As a teaser, Clement L VALLANDIGHAM (1820-1871) is the only man to have been exiled from the United States.  He was an avid outspoken defender of states' rights and not so supportive of Abraham LINCOLN.  More to follow on him and his life and connection to me at a later date.  If you just can't wait, go to Forgotten Books.  They have eight books on VALLANDIGHAM.  Eight!

So, today has now just become a day to reread old emails, read old books, and be so very thankful to the keepers of the past.

Ahh, genealogy. Yes, we have queried.  Yes, we have responded.  Yes, we have shared.  And yes, even some have become friends.



Sources:
Vallandigham, James L. A Life of Clement L Vallandigham, 1872.
https://www.forgottenbooks.com/en/search?q=vallandigham

©2016 ASEldredge

No comments:

Post a Comment