Find a Grave

Search for cemetery records in Saint Clair Cemetery, PA at by entering a surname and clicking search:

Restrict search to

Surname

Friday, August 25, 2017

Death in Homestead Cemetery in Allegheny County, PA

It's a sad day.  I just saw a news report from Pittsburgh, PA, that the Homestead Cemetery in Munhall is dead.  No owner. No burials. Just a very sad forgotten 34 acre burial site of long ago Allegheny County.

My heartfelt thanks to the volunteers who have taken the time out to try and take care of the grounds. If I was in the area, I would be there as well.

Before the cemetery is forced to completely die and its fate decided by the powers that be, I call upon the genealogy groups in the Western PA area to document as much as you can.  Currently, the records that still exist can be found at the West Mifflin Historical Society.  Unless it has changed, the records are not available to the public.  Can this be changed?

According to FindaGrave, about 44% of the gravestones have been photographed and over 7000 graves are identified.

I am sure there are more.  Wish I could dig them up before the information is lost forever.

Ahh, genealogy. Such a sad day for a death.

Read more here:  http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/tag/homestead-cemetery/

©2017  AS Eldredge

No comments:

Post a Comment